WHAT IS BOSWELLIA SERRATA EXTRACT?
Boswellia extract is a traditional treatment derived from the resin of the Boswellia serrata tree that originated in the desert regions of India, Northern Africa, and the Middle East. Commonly called Indian frankincense, this resin is highly valued due to its abundance of bioactive compounds, particularly boswellic acids, which are responsible for its possible health benefits. African and traditional Ayurvedic medicine have long used Boswellia extract for its well-established anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It is widely accepted as a natural treatment for ailments like asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and osteoarthritis.
Boswellia extract possesses anti-inflammatory properties that entail inhibiting particular compounds and enzymes that trigger the body’s inflammatory response. This makes it a potentially beneficial natural supplement for people suffering from a range of inflammatory conditions. Furthermore, its versatility is reflected in the number of forms in which it is available, including capsules, powders, and topical creams, which cater to a wide range of intake preferences.
WHAT IS BOSWELLIA SERRATA GOOD FOR?
The tree Boswellia serrata, sometimes referred to as Indian frankincense, is indigenous to the Middle East, Northern Africa, and India. It has several potential health benefits, especially for people with inflammatory conditions like arthritis. The following are the benefits of Boswellia serrata supported by studies and research undertakings:
- Anti Inflammatory Properties: The powerful anti-inflammatory qualities of Boswellia make it a great natural therapy for a variety of inflammatory conditions. The primary reason of these effects is thought to be the resin’s boswellic acids. In a study that was published in the International Journal of Pharmacology and Biological Sciences, osteoarthritis patients were examined to determine whether Boswellia had any anti-inflammatory effects. The outcomes showed significant reductions in a number of clinical complaints, such as stiffness, edema, and joint discomfort. With a significant decrease in pain and disability scores, this study demonstrated the potential of this extract as a supplemental method for managing osteoarthritis. The anti-inflammatory properties of Boswellia were further validated by a study that was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology. This study examined knee osteoarthritis patients and discovered that Boswellia extract significantly reduced pain and improved physical function.
- May relieve Arthritis: The effectiveness of Boswellia serrata in treating arthritis, especially osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, has gained great attention. A degenerative joint illness called osteoarthritis is characterised by joint degeneration, discomfort, and inflammation. The benefits of this extract on individuals with knee osteoarthritis were studied in research published in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. According to the study, this extract reduced arthritic symptoms just as well as traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs). Patients who took Boswellia extract had a marked decrease in pain and stiffness as well as an improvement in joint function. This shows that this extract might be a useful substitute for NSAIDs in the treatment of osteoarthritis, providing pain relief with a better safety profile.
- May promote Asthma Management: An ongoing respiratory condition known as asthma causes bronchoconstriction and airway inflammation. Millions of people throughout the world suffer from asthma, which may be treated using boswellia extract. A study that was published in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences looked into how Boswellia affected the treatment of asthma. Patients with moderate chronic asthma participated in the trial, and the findings showed that taking Boswellia serrata supplements dramatically improved lung function. Peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) and forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) were improved in patients who took the herbal supplement (PEFR). With fewer asthma attacks and less need for rescue medications, these improvements led to a decrease in asthma symptoms in the patients. It is believed that the anti-inflammatory qualities of this extract are thought to play an important role in mitigating airway inflammation and bronchoconstriction in asthma.
All of these benefits highlight the plant Boswellia serrata’s potential as a natural treatment for a range of inflammatory ailments. Although it’s essential to consult a doctor before considering any new supplement, this extract also shows promise as a helpful alternative for people looking to reduce the symptoms of asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, and other conditions.
HOW DOES BOSWELLIA SERRATA EXTRACT WORK IN HUMAN BODY?
When Boswellia serrata is consumed, its active substances, particularly boswellic acids, work inside the body to target different inflammatory pathways. These boswellic acids are believed to prevent the synthesis of pro-inflammatory enzymes like 5-lipoxygenase, which are essential for the formation of leukotrienes, an inflammatory mediator. Boswellia can diminish the production of leukotrienes and hence reduce the inflammatory response by blocking these enzymes. This is important in conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, where chronic inflammation causes joint pain and damage. Boswellia may also modulate the body’s response to inflammation by influencing the activity of cytokines and other molecules involved in the inflammatory cascade.
This extract spreads throughout numerous tissues and joints where inflammation is prevalent as it is absorbed into the bloodstream. Once there, the boswellic acids interact with particular targets including cytokines and enzymes to reduce the inflammatory response. Individuals with inflammatory diseases will have less pain, swelling, and stiffness as a result of this activity. Additionally, Boswellia serrata may help to preserve joint cartilage and prevent additional damage by reducing inflammation and the associated oxidative stress, providing comfort and better joint function. In order to better understand the therapeutic effects of this extract, additional study is being conducted. It’s necessary to keep in mind that the particular mechanisms of action may change depending on the condition being addressed.
HOW MUCH BOSWELLIA SERRATA EXTRACT CAN A PERSON TAKE?
The potency and amount of boswellic acid in Boswellia serrata products do vary, so it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to be sure you’re taking the right dosage. The standard dosage advice is to take 300–500 milligrams orally, typically twice or three times each day. But it’s important to understand that for some medical disorders, like inflammatory bowel disease, the precise dose may need to be changed (IBD).
However, higher doses might be required to produce therapeutic results in cases of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and other inflammatory diseases. Some recommendations propose taking 300–400 milligrammes of boswellia serrata three times a day, as advised by the Arthritis Foundation. Boswellic acids, the bioactive compounds responsible for the herb’s anti-inflammatory qualities, should also make up at least 60% of any Boswellia product you choose.
Before beginning any herbal therapy, it is generally wise to contact with a healthcare provider or your doctor, especially if you have a particular medical condition, are taking other medications, or are worried about potential interactions or negative effects. Your healthcare practitioner can help you by giving you individualised advice on the dosage that will work best for your need.
WHAT ARE THE VARIATIONS OF BOSWELLIA SERRATA EXTRACT?
Boswellia Serrata Extract is also available as:
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 20% Acetyl-Keto-Beta Boswellic Acid (AKBA)
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 30% Acetyl-Keto-Beta Boswellic Acid (AKBA)
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 4:1
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 5:1
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 65% Boswellic Acid
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 70% Boswellic Acid 10:1
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 80% Boswellic Acid
- Boswellia Serrata Extract 90% Boswellic Acid
- Boswellia Serrata Powder
- Boswellia Serrata Powder Animal Grade
Boswellia Serrata Extract is commonly available in:
- Boswellia Serrata Extract capsules
- Boswellia Serrata powder extract
- Boswellia Serrata liquid extract
- Boswellia Serrata softgels
If you are wanting to know more information, please get in contact with us. Either using the contact form or contacting us directly on: email@example.com.